April 21, 2012 in City, News

Fire at shelter sends one to hospital

 

A fire at St. Margaret’s Shelter sent one woman to the hospital Saturday afternoon.

The Spokane Fire Department responded to the fire at 101 East Hartson Ave. shortly before 4 p.m.

The fire started in the closet of a second-floor room, according to Battalion Chief Craig Cornelius. It did not spread further than that room before firefighters could put the flames out with one hose line. There was “significant water damage” to the room caused by the in-ceiling sprinklers that kept the fire isolated, but could not reach the inside of the closet.

St. Margaret’s is a shelter for women and children who were the victims of domestic violence.

“I didn’t know what the heck was going on when I heard the fire alarm,” one resident who wished to remain unnamed said. “Good to know this place really takes care of us.”

The resident whose room the fire was in was about to get into the shower when she smelled the smoke, according to Cornelius. She – among at least 10 other residents that were gathered by the scene – evacuated immediately upon hearing the fire alarm.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus