• ActiveWest Builders , developer and builder of the active adult community Meadow Ranch in Coeur d’Alene, won several top awards from the National Association of Home Builders’ 50+ Housing Council: gold for Best Green Community, gold for Best Detached Home under 2,100 square feet, and silver for Best for Sale under 200 homes. The project was singled out for its energy and water conservation, sustainable building techniques, zero water runoff and limited construction waste.
• The University Relations team at Gonzaga University captured most outstanding entry in the 2012 Council for Advancement and Support of Education district communication awards contest. Gonzaga’s 2010 Advent Calendar Website received a Grand Gold award and the Virginia Carter Smith Grand Crystal Award. The university also received a Grand Gold award in the Print General Interest Magazines (enrollment 5,000-15,000) category for Gonzaga Magazine.
• Deaconess Hospital named the following its 2011 employees and managers of the year: Mary Wise, a workers’ compensation specialist in Employee Health, employee of the year; Marcellus Kennedy, chef and director of Food and Nutrition Services, nonclinical manager of the year; Patrice Sweeny, director of Pediatrics and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, clinical manager of the year.
• Visit Spokane was awarded Volunteer Organization of the Year at the Washington Tourism Alliance Summit. The group was singled out for its support of statewide tourism marketing efforts in the past year.
• Quality Inn Oakwood in Spokane received a 2012 Platinum hospitality award from Choice Hotels International. This award is presented to the top 3 percent of hotels within the Quality Inn brand based on guest satisfaction and quality assurance ratings.
• Lone Wolf Harley-Davidson of Spokane Valley was awarded Harley-Davidson Motor Co.’s Gold Bar & Shield Circle of Excellence Award for 2011. The award is given to the top four Harley-Davidson dealerships in the West, based on an evaluation of customer service and satisfaction.
• Northwestern Mutual gave Spokane resident Brian Hubbell its 2012 Western Region Managing Partner Award. The Hubbell Financial Group is a Northwestern Mutual office in Spokane.
• Provisional Recruiting + Staffing , with offices in Spokane and Coeur d’Alene, earned both of Inavero’s 2012 “Best of Staffing” awards, for client and talent. Provisional offers financial, legal, health care, administrative and technical recruiting for temporary, contract-to-hire and direct hire positions.
• Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Inc. has been recognized by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries for achieving excellence in workplace safety and health at its Pullman headquarters. SEL’s Voluntary Protection Program Star status was recertified.
• NAI Black , headquartered in Spokane, was recognized by NAI Global with its Eagle Award for performance in 2011. The award recognizes the NAI member firm that best exemplifies leadership, capital and resources; commitment to quality; the desire and energy to grow; and sharing the NAI Global vision for excellence in commercial real estate services.
• Ramada Spokane Airport , at 8909 Airport Drive, was awarded The Best of 2012 award by Ramada Worldwide, ranking it among the top properties in the brand’s 900-hotel portfolio.
• Center Pointe, a local nonprofit United Way agency, presented the June Jones Community Service Award to Gonzaga Preparatory, Gonzaga University, Whitworth University, and Eastern Washington University Occupational Therapy Program for their dedication and support to service learning.
• Ornamental Gate and Fence of Mead and Environment West Landscape Architects of Spokane together won the Ernest Wiemann International Top Job Award for outstanding craftsmanship from the National Ornamental and Miscellaneous Metals Association.
No injuries. Owner of the firearm, parents, were cited for injury to child. This could have been so much worse. CH
Here’s a news item from the Associated Press: POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) — The FBI is expanding its data center in eastern Idaho and bringing in 300 new jobs. Pocatello Mayor ...
The Slice asked about things that had been lost and were still missed, even though they had negligible monetary value. Gabi Tilley knew exactly what that question was all about. ...
A GRIP ON SPORTS • The University of Idaho is giving up. But in this case it's not a bad thing. No, really, it isn’t. Read on.
sponsored Kids learn about money from their parents.