Features

Flesh-eating bacteria killed Texas boy in Calif.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A 7-year-old Texas boy who died during a Southern California vacation was killed by flesh-eating bacteria.

The San Diego County medical examiner’s office says Tevita Alatini died on July 10 after the infection spread to muscle tissue. The office didn’t say how he might have contracted the infection.

Authorities say the boy also had anemia caused by an autoimmune condition and that contributed to his death.

Tevita was hospitalized only days after he and his family arrived in San Diego County last month from Spring, Texas. His uncle, Sione Niko, told the North County Times that the boy became increasingly sick and his parents noticed a red spot under his arm.



Click here to comment on this story »



Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile