Exonerated Minnesota State University-Mankato football coach Todd Hoffner says he’s thankful to be “waking up from this nightmare” after a judge dismissed child pornography charges against him. Hoffner said Friday that he’s looking forward to getting his life, job and family back.
Disclosed A person familiar with the situation says the substance that caused MLB slugger Manny Ramirez to test positive for a banned substance last year was testosterone.
Traded The Atlanta Braves have traded Tommy Hanson to the Los Angeles Angels for former closer Jordan Walden. The 26-year-old Hanson set a career high with 13 wins this year but his 4.48 ERA also was a career worst. Walden had 32 saves in 2011, then lost his closer’s role.
• The Kansas City Royals and second baseman Chris Getz avoided arbitration by agreeing a $1.05 million, one-year contract that includes up to $150,000 in performance bonuses. Getz, who made $967,500 last season, batted .275 with 17 RBIs and nine stolen bases in 64 games last season.
• Former major leaguer Chan Ho Park, 39, is retiring after a career spanning nearly two decades in the United States, Japan and South Korea. Park, the first South Korean-born player in Major League Baseball, won 124 games in a 17-year career. He last pitched in the big leagues in 2010.
• The Seattle Mariners agreed to one-year contracts with reliever Josh Kinney and newly acquired infielder Robert Andino.
Seattle tendered 2013 contracts to pitchers Jason Vargas and Shawn Kelley, shortstop Brendan Ryan and catcher John Jaso. All four are eligible for arbitration.
• The San Francisco Giants declined to tender a one-year contract to bearded closer Brian Wilson, making him a free agent as he recovers from a second ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow.
• The Houston Astros have claimed Philip Humber off waivers from the Chicago White Sox and agreed to a one-year contract with the pitcher who threw a perfect game last season against Seattle. Humber gets an $800,000 salary next year. There is a club option for $3 million in 2014.