Have an item for Business Beat? Send it to businessbeat@ spokesman.com.
• McDirmid Mikkelsen and Secrest P.S. hired Travis Bean as a Staff B accountant.
• Joey Bittner has been hired as a graphic designer for 14Four. The agency also hired Todd Jones as a frontend developer.
• Magner Sanborn has hired Charlotte Boutz as a senior account planner, Scott Ellis as a digital marketing specialist and Jimmy Gleason as a web developer.
• Uma Jayaram has been named a fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Jayaram is an associate professor for Washington State University’s School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering.
• Seattle Business Magazine named Avista Corp. one of the 50 greenest companies in Washington state and presented the company with a special recognition award during the Green Washington Awards held in November.
• Ron Vierra has been appointed to Spokane Teachers Credit Union’s Board of Directors. Vierra is a retired Information Technology manager who previously worked for the Washington state Department of Transportation.
• Gov. Chris Gregoire appointed Tim Rasmussen to the Export Finance Assistance Center of Washington board of directors. Rasmussen is an employee at Sterling Bank.
• The following individuals were recognized during the Pullman Chamber of Commerce’s 95th annual Meeting and Awards Banquet: Chamber Member of the Year, Tony Poston, owner of College Hill Custom Threads; Marshall A. Neill Community Service Award, John and Debbie Sherman; Civic Improvement Award, Fern McLeod of Pullman Parks and Recreation; and Chamber Hall of Fame, Modern Category award, Anna Maria Shannon.
• Northwest MedStar was named 2012 Program of the Year by the Association of Air Medical Services for excellence in air-medical and critical care transport programs.
• Stephen Thompson received the 2012 Communicator of the Year Award from the National Association of Air Medical Communication Specialists. Thompson is a communication specialist for Northwest MedStar.
• The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics Inc. presented Kootenai Prosthetics and Orthotics/Valley Orthopedic’s Post Falls and Sandpoint clinics with a Three-Year Accreditation Award.
• Attorneys David Gardner and Erika Grubbs have been named principals for Winston and Cashatt Lawyers. Gardner has been with the firm for five years. Grubbs joined the firm in 2011.
• Paine Hamblen LLP has hired Eric Sachtjen as an attorney and Eric Whiting as an associate attorney for the company’s Spokane office. Sachtjen is admitted to practice law in the states of Washington, Idaho and Alaska.
• Erin Williams has been appointed SAFeT Response Center Advocacy and Education Manager for Lutheran Community Services NW.
• Atlas Van Lines presented DeVries Moving-Packing Storage of Spokane with its World Class Commitment Award during the 65th annual Atlas Convention.