No one was hurt when an electrical fire caused about $4,000 in damage to an apartment unit at 607 S. Monroe St. Sunday night.
Battalion Chief Steve Sabo said someone saw smoke coming from an attic window and called 911 around 8:40 p.m.
Fire crews were able to isolate the fire to one unit and minimized the damage to about a 5-foot area, he said.
The residents of the three-story, 10-unit building were expected to be able to return home after crews left the scene.
Monroe Street and Sixth Avenue were closed for a few hours.
Teen shot during robbery try
OLYMPIA – Authorities say a teenager was shot in the abdomen during an attempted robbery in Olympia.
The Olympian reports the shooting happened shortly after midnight Saturday when a 16-year-old boy tried to stop a 29-year-old transient man from taking his car, which had two teenage girls inside.
The 16-year-old was shot during the struggle. No one else was hurt. The other teens were able to subdue the alleged shooter until police arrived.
Det. Sgt. Aaron Jelcick said the 29-year-old was booked in Thurston County Jail on first-degree robbery and second-degree assault.
The 16-year-old was taken to a hospital and was expected to make a full recovery.
Fire blamed on marijuana grow
YAKIMA – Wiring at a marijuana grow operation started a fire that damaged two apartments Saturday night, fire officials say.
The fire started just after 7 p.m. in a five-unit apartment complex. No one was injured, but several residents were displaced, Yakima Battalion Chief Tom Sevigny said Sunday.
Damage to the apartments was estimated at $60,000. It was unclear Sunday whether anyone had been arrested in connection with the marijuana growing operation.
Battalion Chief Mitch Cole said he anticipates seeing more fires like this now that Initiative 502 has made limited marijuana possession legal in Washington, even though commercial growing operations are still illegal.
Sevigny said there are several risk factors for fires associated with grow operations.
It takes a lot of electricity to power the grow lights, which can be a red flag to a power company if residents suddenly start using significantly more electricity than normal, Sevigny said.
“To avoid that sometimes, (growers) will bypass the meter so it doesn’t register, which is illegal and also really dangerous,” he said.
The investigation was continuing.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.