Top cross-country skiing destinations within a day’s drive of Spokane include:
• Silver Star Mountain near Vernon: 105K of trails that attract the Canadian national team and Olympians.
Contact: Silver Star Mountain Resort, (800) 663-4431, skisilverstar.com.
• Ponderosa State Park in McCall, Idaho: 22K trail system and biathlon course, site of World Masters Nordic Championships, on a scenic peninsula off Payette Lake.
• Sun Valley area near Ketchum. Trail system totals more than 300K from Galena Lodge to Sun Valley nordic area.
Contact: Visit Sun Valley, (800) 634-3347, visitsunvalley.com.
• Homestake Lodge and Cross-Country Ski Center: 37 kilometers of groomed trails on the Continental Divide and just three miles off Interstate 90 east of Butte.
Contact: Homestake Lodge, homestakelodge.com.
• Rendezvous Ski Area near West Yellowstone: 35K trail system at 6,800 feet is considered the Old Faithful of nordic areas for providing dependable early and late-season skiing.
Contact: West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce, (406) 646-7701, href=”http://www.westyellowstone”>westyellowstonechamber.com.
• Mt. Bachelor near Bend: 56K trail system on the edge of the alpine ski area on the slopes of its 9,064-foot dormant volcano namesake and next to the Three Sisters Wilderness.
Contact: Mt. Bachelor Ski Area, (800) 829-2442, mtbachelor.com.
• Methow Valley near Winthrop: This sprawling 200K trail system – beautifully groomed almost daily by a stable of five snowcats – links resorts, communities and skiing attractions in the Methow River Valley from Winthrop to Mazama and beyond.
Contact: Methow Valley Sport Trails Association, mvsta.com; Methow Valley Central Reservations (800) 422-3048.
• Mount Spokane State Park near Spokane: More than 40 kilometers of trails groomed for classic and skating. Sno-Park permits and grooming stickers required on vehicles but no individual trail passes required.
Contact: Spokane Nordic Ski Association, spokanenordic.org.
• Echo Ridge, Chelan: More than 15 miles of groomed trails on the scenic ridges high above Lake Chelan.
Contact: Lake Chelan Nordic Ski Club, lakechelannordic.org.
sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.