Arrow-right Camera
News >  Spokane

People, pets flee chimney fire

A chimney fire damaged a home at 1814 W. Mission in northwest Spokane this morning just after 9 a.m. Three residents made it safely out of the home, as did two cats and several birds.

Firefighters found smoke and flames on an exterior wall on the first floor when they arrived, according to a Spokane Fire Department press release. The fire was spreading to the second floor and attic. Crews had to rip open the walls and attic to put out the fire.

Investigators determined that the fire was caused by a wood stove chimney that set the wall on fire, the press release said. Damage is estimated to be at least $20,000. The Red Cross is assisting the residents.



Top stories in Spokane

WSU, Mike Leach face lawsuit over football player’s dismissal

new  A lawsuit claims that Washington State football coach Mike Leach has selectively enforced his own team rules, and that the university failed to provide due process before revoking a student-athlete’s financial aid – again shining a spotlight on how the school responds to criminal allegations.