Local news

In brief: Man jailed in pregnant wife’s death

A man suspected of stabbing his pregnant wife to death Tuesday night is being held on $1 million bond.

Jeremy Swanson, 27, reportedly called 911 and told dispatchers he killed his wife, according to the Bonner County Sheriff’s Office. When Priest River police officers arrived to the home at 350 Harriet Street, they found Jennifer Swanson, 27, dead.

Officers detained Swanson and booked him into the county jail on two counts of first-degree murder, one for his wife and the other for her unborn child.

Police Chief Ray Roberts said this is the town’s first homicide since 1973.

“This is a safe community. This kind of thing doesn’t happen here,” Roberts said Wednesday. “Well, I guess I can’t say that anymore.”

Man critically hurt in Chattaroy stabbing

A man sustained critical injuries when he was reportedly stabbed early Wednesday morning in the parking lot of a Chattaroy bar, the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies found the man lying on the ground shortly after 2 a.m. in the parking lot outside the Prime Tyme bar at 4211 E. Westwood Ave., a news release said.

He was unconscious and had multiple stab wounds, according to sheriff’s spokesman Craig Chamberlin.

Detectives arrested Brian Reinhart, 25, and Dwayne Hackley, 42, on suspicion of first-degree assault after they reportedly called 911 this morning and said the man attacked them. Anyone who has information about the fight is asked to call Crime Check at (509) 456-2233.

Plea deal struck in child abandonment

A 27-year-old Spokane-area woman has reached a plea agreement after being charged with abandoning her young children along Interstate 90 in Post Falls in October.

Shannon Duval’s attorney Larry Purviance said Duval has agreed to plead guilty to one count of felony injury to a child in exchange for prosecutors recommending a probationary sentence. Purviance said the hearing is scheduled for next month. Duval remains in custody.

A construction worker found the boys, ages 3 and 6, along the road at about 9 a.m. on Oct. 30. The boys said their mother had run out of gas and had gone for help and that it was dark and raining when she left.

Duval was arrested that evening at a residence in the Spokane area.

The children were placed in foster care.

Plane crash kills two in Montana

LIBBY, Mont. – Two people are believed to have died in a plane crash in northwestern Montana, authorities said Wednesday.

Allen Kenitzer of the Federal Aviation Administration said preliminary reports are that a twin-engine Beech King Air-100 was discovered Wednesday about three miles north of Libby. The plane crashed Tuesday night, he said.

Local authorities reported that the two people onboard were killed, Kenitzer said. Lincoln County Sheriff Roby Bowe told the Western News that rescuers concentrated their search in the Swede Mountain area, where the plane’s GPS beacon was last reported.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating. Additional information, including the plane’s registered owner and possible identities of those aboard, could not immediately be confirmed.

Bowe did not immediately return a message left by the Associated Press.

Heavy snow hampered the search Wednesday.

Mudslide disrupts train traffic again

MUKILTEO, Wash. – Another day, another mudslide on railroad tracks in the Everett-Seattle corridor.

Burlington Northern Santa Fe spokesman Gus Melonas said the Wednesday afternoon slide south of Mukilteo was being cleared and freight train traffic was only expected to be briefly interrupted.

However, the slide does reset the required 48-hour moratorium on passenger and commuter train traffic in that corridor. That moratorium now extends until Friday afternoon,

Melonas says there have been more than 30 mudslides in the corridor since Thanksgiving week. The area has been pounded by heavy rainfall.

Student arrested for fireworks at school

TACOMA – A student was arrested for bringing fireworks to Stadium High School in Tacoma.

Police spokesman Mark Fulghum said it was a small mortar-type firework that had been wrapped in tape. The boy forgot he had it in his backpack and it was found by a school security guard.

The school was evacuated about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday and students waited at the performing arts center across the street until police determined the building were secure.

District spokesman Dan Voelpel said the student has been expelled.


Click here to comment on this story »



Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile