A basement fire at the Spokane County Jail triggered a full response from the Spokane Fire Department this evening.
Kitchen staff at the jail alerted a corrections sergeant they could smell smoke in the basement and found some rags in a dryer that were on fire, according to Spokane County sheriff’s spokesman Deputy Craig Chamberlin. The corrections employee tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher and called the Fire Department about 5:15 p.m.
By the time the fire department arrived, the fire had started up again, but crews quickly extinguished it and ventilated smoke from the area.
Medical personnel checked out the inmates who were in the kitchen at the time. No injuries were reported.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.