In brief: Services, offices affected by holidays
The following services and offices will be affected by the Christmas holidays:
• County and city offices in Spokane, Spokane Valley, Coeur d’Alene and Kootenai County will be open Christmas Eve and closed Christmas Day.
• The Thomas S. Foley U.S. Courthouse will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
• Spokane city and county libraries are closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
• Spokane Transit Authority will operate on the Sunday/holiday schedule on Christmas Day.
• Garbage collection will be one day late.
• Parking meters do not need to be plugged on Christmas.
• Mail will not be delivered Christmas Day.
• Riverfront Park: Ice Palace ice skating and Enchanted Forest Mini-Golf will be open from 1 to 7 p.m. on Christmas. All other attractions will be closed. For Imax hours, visit http://spokaneriverfrontpark.com/.
• Area malls will be closed Christmas Day.
• Many banks will close early Christmas Eve, and most will be closed Christmas Day.
The week between Christmas and New Year’s is prime time to scope out the bald eagles congregating in the Wolf Lodge Bay area of Lake Coeur d’Alene.
At least 260 eagles were concentrated in the area last week in their annual migration to feast on spawning kokanee.
Another annual event, Eagle Watch Week, is set for Dec. 26-30, sponsored by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Idaho Fish and Game, and local birding groups. Eagle experts will have spotting scopes and displays set up at the Mineral Ridge Boat Launch and the Mineral Ridge Trailhead from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Drive east of Coeur d’Alene about eight miles on Interstate 90 and take the Wolf Lodge exit onto Highway 97 toward Harrison to reach the two viewing sites. For information, call (208) 769-5048.