If you’ve been following the news this week – or even if you haven’t – you could win a prize in That’s News to You.
Warm up your news sense with our newspaper version, then try our online version at spokesman.com/newsquiz, where the top entries each week go into a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets.
Here you go:
1. When Eastern Washington University couldn’t field a large band for last weekend’s playoff because students were on break, what did the school do?
A. They borrowed the band from Gonzaga.
B. They put together a band of EWU alumni and volunteers.
C. They hired a professional band that plays for the Seahawks.
D. They played recorded music during the game and at halftime.
E. Nothing. There just wasn’t any music during the game.
2. Spokane city officials have been trying to stop what type of pollution by 2018?
A. Dust particles from the city’s dirt roads
B. Smoke from local factories
C. Toxic chemicals from the Waste-to-Energy Plant
D. Untreated sewage in the Spokane River
E. De-icer chemicals on snowy streets
3. A study of Washington state judges showed what change occurs around their re-election time?
A. Sentences tended to be longer.
B. Sentences tended to be shorter.
C. Sentences were more likely to be delayed.
D. Trials were likely to last longer.
E. Can’t fool me. Washington doesn’t elect its judges.
4. Washington state’s unemployment rate dropped to 7.8 percent in November, the first time it has been below 8 percent since
A. January 2011
B. January 2010
C. January 2009
D. January 2008
E. January 2007
5. The Seattle Seahawks scored 50 or more points against opponents in two consecutive games. How many NFL teams have accomplished that feat, including the Seahawks?
E. Can’t fool me. The Hawks are the first to do that.
Check your work
Find answers and last week’s winners on page B3.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.