Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. ‘IT DOES APPEAR IT WAS A TRAP’
An ex-con guns down two firefighters after luring them to his upstate New York neighborhood by setting a car and a house ablaze.
2. WHAT THE POPE SAID ABOUT GOD ON CHRISTMAS
Benedict XVI asked that people make room for religion in their hectic, technology-driven lives.
3. GIFTS FOR GRIEVING NEWTOWN
People have donated toys, books and money to the Connecticut town since the Dec. 14 school shooting.
4. CHARACTER ACTOR CHARLES DURNING DIES AT 89
Durning, a World War II hero, starred in “The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas” and “Tootsie” and was nominated twice for Oscars.
5. OBAMACARE TAX HIKES ON THE WAY
The increases mainly affect the wealthy and the health care industry and kick in on Jan. 1.
6. A ‘LOST TRIBE’ MOVES TO ISRAEL
Dozens of Jews who claim to be the descendants of a biblical tribe emigrated from their northeastern Indian village.
7. DOUBTS FOR A TRUCE IN SYRIA
An international envoy indicates no progress had been made toward ending the civil war after meeting with Assad.
8. HOW THE PRESIDENT SPENDS CHRISTMAS VACATION
Obama worked out at the Marine Corps base gym, golfed and met up with his family at a Hawaii beach.
9. A SURVIVOR OF SANDY DIES IN PUERTO RICO
Dylan Smith, a 23-year-old lifeguard who used his surfboard to ferry people to safety in New York’s Rockaways , dies in a surfing accident.
10. WHAT THE AP SAID ABOUT ‘LES MISERABLES’
Movie Critic Christy Lemire says the big-screen version of the musical is “enormous and sprawling and not the slightest bit subtle.”
Click here to comment on this story »