Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent, is this week, and several Spokane Valley churches are planning special worship services to mark the day. Lent is the 40 days preceding Easter and is considered a time of spiritual preparation.
Services on Wednesday will be held at:
• Veradale United Church of Christ, 611 N. Progress Road, 7:30 p.m.
• 7 p.m. at Opportunity Christian Church, 708 N. Pines Road.
• Opportunity Presbyterian Church, 202 N. Pines Road, 7 p.m. Child care will be available.
• 7 p.m. at the Spokane Valley United Methodist Church, 115 N. Raymond Road.
• The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection, 15319 E. Eighth Ave., 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. The church also will host a traditional Shrove Tuesday pancake supper at 5 p.m. Tuesday. The menu also includes ham, scrambled eggs and applesauce. Donations will be accepted for the meal. Call the church office at (509) 926-6450 for more information.
• Zion Lutheran Church, 8304 E. Buckeye Ave., 6:45 p.m. The service will be preceded by a soup supper at 6 p.m. A worship service and soup supper will be held Wednesdays at the same times during Lent through March 28.
St. John Vianney Catholic Church will host its annual all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner fundraiser from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday. The menu also includes meatballs, salad, rolls, dessert and beverages.
The cost is $8 for adults, $6 for seniors and $5 for children ages 6-12. Children age 5 and younger eat for free. The church is at 503 N. Walnut Road.