Local news

Suspect charged in stabbing death

Police: Apartment fight ended with knife cuts

The man stabbed to death over the weekend was Casey W. Anderson, 23, according to court records.

Police believe Anderson assaulted his ex-girlfriend and stole her cellphone before he suffered two fatal knife wounds to the back.

Anderson fell into traffic near the intersection of Third Avenue and Howard Street at about 4:50 a.m. Sunday. In addition to the stab wounds, Anderson also had bite marks on his forehead, court records say.

Suspected of killing him is David J. Fagundes, 34, who made his initial appearance in court Tuesday on a charge of second-degree murder before Superior Court Judge Annette Plese. She ordered Fagundes held on a $100,000 bond and set a preliminary hearing date for Feb. 28.

According to court records, the incident began Saturday night when Anderson broke into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment, assaulted her and stole her cellphone. He then went to Fagundes’ apartment at 225 S. Wall St.

Police were called by witnesses who saw Anderson standing without a coat at the corner of Third Avenue and Howard Street. He fell into traffic before bystanders rushed to his aid.

Detectives traced Anderson’s blood back to Fagundes’ apartment on Wall Street. After refusing for several hours to answer his door, Fagundes – who had bloody hands – told police that Anderson came by his apartment at about midnight and they argued.

“Punches were exchanged and Anderson sprayed Fagundes in the face with pepper spray,” Detective Kip Hollenbeck wrote.

The men continued to “wrestle around” and Fagundes said he bit Anderson on the forehead several times. During the struggle, the two men fell to the floor and “Anderson apparently ‘fell’ on top of a ‘butterfly knife,’ ” Hollenbeck wrote.

During questioning at his apartment, Fagundes “suddenly became uncooperative and reached for a concealed handgun,” Hollenbeck wrote. “After a brief struggle he was disarmed and detained.”

Investigators later learned the gun was loaded with several live cartridges but was inoperable. “Fagundes referred to the gun as a ‘stage prop,’ ” Hollenbeck wrote.

Click here to comment on this story »



Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile