Local news


Fire in Northeast Spokane ruled accidental

A home in Northeast Spokane was heavily damaged early Sunday by a blaze that started when combustibles near a stove that was accidentally left on caught fire, the Spokane Fire Department reported in a news release.

Crews were called to 404 E. Rockwell Ave. at 3:30 a.m. When they arrived, firefighters verified that the woman who lives there, Lorene Villarreal, already had escaped along with one dog. Another dog was inside and rescued, the fire department said.

The fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes, but the kitchen and rear of the home, which was built in 1943, sustained extensive damage, the fire department said.

Eldon W. Brown, who owns the home, said Villarreal, who is his girlfriend, was awake at the time of the fire and discovered the blaze when she entered the kitchen to make coffee. The home did not have a smoke alarm.

Brown, principal engineer of developer services for the City of Spokane, said the home is insured.



Click here to comment on this story »




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile