Arrow-right Camera


In brief: Highway 2 crash kills three, injures two

MONDAY, JAN. 2, 2012

Three people died in a head-on collision early Sunday on state Highway 2 west of Spokane.

Kacey EJ McIntyre, 19, of Spokane, was driving east at milepost 258 when his 2006 Toyota Scion crossed the centerline about 2 a.m. and crashed into a 2007 Subaru Impreza driven by Benito M. Flores, according to the Washington State Patrol.

McIntyre and Flores, 66, of Coulee Dam, were killed, as well as McIntyre’s passenger, Faith Rebecca Proctor, 20, also of Spokane.

McIntyre’s other passengers, Kenneth C. McIntyre, 52, and David E. Richards, 21, both of Spokane, were injured.

Flores was driving alone, the WSP said. The crash occurred about three miles east of Reardan.

McIntyre graduated from Contract Based Education alternative school in 2011.

Proctor graduated from Lewis and Clark High School in 2010, where she helped the girls basketball team win three state championships.

She was the Boys & Girls Club of Spokane County’s “Youth of the Year” in 2010. Club leaders at the time described Proctor as “a pillar of strength” who worked two part-time jobs while maintaining a 3.0 grade point average and volunteering in the community. Proctor began attending the Boys & Girls Club in 2004 “when she needed a safe place where she could find support from caring adults due to a neighborhood filled with violence and poverty,” according to the club.

Meghann M. Cuniff

Fire leaves girl, 3, with ‘extensive’ burns

A 3-year-old girl was burned in a fire at her northeast Spokane home early Sunday.

The girl is being treated for “extensive” second- and third-degree burns on her legs, according to the Spokane Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at 707 E. Illinois Ave. within four minutes of the 5:46 a.m. call and saw heavy smoke and flames at the rear of the home.

The girl was rushed to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center via ambulance with her parents as firefighters fought the blaze, which was under control within 20 minutes.

Pre-connected hose lines were advanced into the front of the home to keep the flames back and ultimately extinguish the fire, which was burning on both floors, according to the Fire Department.

The cause of the fire remained under investigation Sunday.

Meghann M. Cuniff


Click here to comment on this story »