Obama’s leaner Pentagon would focus on China, Iran
WASHINGTON – Outlining new military priorities after a costly decade of war, President Barack Obama called for shrinking the Army and Marines and refocusing Pentagon spending to counter dangers from China and Iran.
Declaring that the “tide of war is receding,” Obama outlined the shift in strategy in a rare appearance Thursday at the Pentagon, underscoring the White House desire to pivot away from the unpopular and costly conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan in an election year.
In a sign of concern about China, and a new emphasis on the Asia Pacific region, the Navy is expected to keep its current fleet of 11 aircraft carriers and accompanying warships. Some officials had suggested retiring one of the carriers as a cost-saving measure.
But the Pentagon is likely to limit purchases of the controversial F-35 fighter to 32 a year, delaying plans to ramp up production to save money. Still in development, the aircraft has been dogged by massive cost overruns and technical setbacks, but Pentagon officials consider the joint strike fighter vital for deterring China.
Flanked by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and other senior military commanders, Obama vowed to “ensure our security with smaller conventional ground forces,” adding that the armed forces “will be leaner” but “agile, flexible and ready for the full range of contingencies and threats.”
With U.S. troops now gone from Iraq and starting to come home from Afghanistan, the Obama administration is planning to cut the Army by 80,000 soldiers, taking it below 490,000, and the Marine Corps by 20,000, taking it to 182,000.
The shrinking need for U.S. troops abroad is only one of the factors driving the administration to rethink military strategy. The other is the fiscal predicament that last year led the White House and Congress to agree to cut least at least $487 billion from military budgets – and possibly as much as another $500 billion if automatic cuts are imposed – over the next decade.
The White House sought to head off criticism from Republican presidential candidates that the coming cuts in spending will dangerously weaken U.S. defenses.
The GOP front-runner, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, has sharply criticized Obama’s blueprint for the Pentagon, vowing to increase military spending if elected.
Obama’s aides argued that the new strategy and budget priorities – the result of an eight-month review – reflect America’s interests a decade after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, rather than random cuts that could undermine national defense.
“They can’t get away with their usual story about Democrats and national security,” one senior administration official said of Republican critics, noting that U.S. forces have killed most of al-Qaida’s core leadership, including the terrorist network’s founder, Osama bin Laden.
Obama said the Defense Department’s base budget will increase over the next decade. Only the rates of increase will shrink, along with spending on military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. “The growth in the defense budget will slow, but the fact of the matter is this: It will still grow,” he said.
The eight-page document made public Thursday does not specify which weapons systems or other programs would be cut or when. Those recommendations will be made public after the administration releases its fiscal 2013 budget in three weeks, officials said.
Under the new strategy, the military would no longer be required to be capable of fighting and winning two wars at once “against two capable nation-state aggressors.” That formal requirement dates from the Cold War.