Spokane Valley firefighters work overnight car, house blazes
Spokane Valley firefighters had a busy Saturday morning.
They first responded to a suspicious car fire at the Roost Apartments, 8910 E. Broadway Ave., which was reported at 3:41 a.m., according to a Spokane Valley Fire Department news release.
The first crew arriving on the scene found a 2002 Hyundai sedan engulfed in flames, but were able to knock down the fire before it caused damage to the nearby apartment building.
Witnesses helped evacuate the apartment complex while waiting for firefighters to arrive, the news release said. No injuries were reported, and all residents were able to return to their units.
Fire Marshal Kevin Miller did not indicate what might have caused the fire but said in a news release it was suspicious in nature.
Anyone who may have witnessed something suspicious should call Crime Check at (509) 456-2233 or the Spokane Valley Fire Department at (509) 928-1700.
Just 30 minutes after the car fire, Spokane Valley crews responded to a fire at a house in the 19900 block of East Sprague Avenue.
The homeowner awoke to the smell of smoke and got his family out before calling 911 at 4:09 a.m.
Crews were able to confine the fire to the chimney. The cause was excessive heat from a wood stove against the home’s wood-framed walls.
No injuries were reported in the second fire, but the house sustained about $15,000 in damage.
The home had 20-year-old smoke detectors that didn’t work, the news release said. Most smoke detector manufacturer’s warranties run out after 10 years, and fire officials recommend replacing them after the warranty expires.