Several events are taking place today to mark Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
• The annual Unity March, community resource fair and children’s activity fair will take place in downtown Spokane, with the march beginning at 10 a.m. at the INB Performing Arts Center, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd.
The resource fair starts at 11 at River Park Square, 808 W. Main Ave., and the activity fair starts at the same time on the second floor of the STA Plaza, 701 W. Riverside. All events are free; visit www.mlkspokane.org for information.
• The Rev. Percy “Happy” Watkins will deliver King’s “I have a dream” speech from noon to 1 p.m. at Providence Holy Family Hospital, Health Education Center, 5633 N. Lidgerwood St., and from 3 to 4 p.m. at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, Mother Joseph Room, 101 W. Eighth Ave.
• The Kootenai County Task Force on Human Relations will hold its Martin Luther King Jr. gala from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Parkside Event Center, 601 E. Front Ave. in Coeur d’Alene. Tickets are $40 each and are available at the door.
The Washington Legislature and Idaho Legislature are in session.
However, the following offices and services will be affected by the holiday today:
• City, county, state and federal offices, as well as schools, are closed. (The Spokane County Engineering and Roads Division and Utilities Division will be open, however.)
• Post offices are closed.
• Public libraries are closed.
• Most banks are closed.
• Most Washington state liquor stores are open, as are Idaho state liquor stores.
• Spokane’s Solid Waste Department is open today and will collect refuse and recycling on its regular schedule all week. For changes to garbage and recycling services elsewhere, check with local providers.
Police find body of stabbed man
A man was fatally stabbed Saturday night at the Danmor Apartments, 410 W. Third Ave., near downtown Spokane.
Police officers arrived at the apartment complex at 7:50 p.m. Saturday to find the man outside the apartment complex, officials said. He had a bloody knife in his hand.
The man’s name was not released, and further details were not available Sunday.
An investigation into the stabbing is continuing, officials said.
sponsored Kids learn about money from their parents.