Edward Herbert Jamieson, an attorney who settled in Spokane in 1882, founded Spokane Abstract Co. and built a two-story brick building on the southwest corner of Riverside Avenue and Wall Street. The great fire of 1889 reduced the structure to rubble. Jamieson was undaunted, commissioning Herman Preusse, a German architect, to design a replacement. Constructed of bricks, the 1890 Jamieson building featured electric lights, steam heat, elevator service and a sixth-floor dining room – for a total cost of $120,000. Jamieson died in 1909; his investment company managed the building until the 1930s, when it was purchased by Zukor’s, a women’s clothing store. The building was destroyed in a 1980 blaze that also killed a firefighter. The lot remained empty until the construction of the STA Plaza in 1994.
– Jesse Tinsley