Central Valley High School’s Sydnee Scofield was crowned 2012 Lilac Queen during a ceremony Sunday at the Spokane Masonic Center.
Scofield was selected from a group of 14 high school seniors who competed for the crown. Each gave a speech based on a quote assigned by Spokane Lilac Festival officials.
Scofield’s speech was based on a quote by Orison Swett Marden: “All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.”
Scofield told the audience Sunday: “My dad taught me that dreams can make a difference.”
Scofield recalled being in preschool and convincing the other students the cinnamon sprinkled on their applesauce was dirt. The children rebelled – to this day, children at the preschool aren’t served applesauce with cinnamon, she said.
Scofield also told the audience about “pirate day” at her school. She said she dressed like a pirate and practiced talking like a pirate while she walked to school that day, only to find out she had read the calendar wrong.
“It was not pirate day, it was picture day,” she said.
Through it all, her father, Jack Scofield, was there to support her, Scofield said. When he was diagnosed with a serious heart condition, he made it a goal to watch her compete for the Lilac crown.
Scofield said her father walked to the Masonic Center and was there in the audience.
Her win Sunday brings a $1,500 scholarship for making it to the Royal Court, plus $1,500 for being selected queen. That’s in addition to representing the Lilac Festival for the year and making appearances throughout the Northwest.
Scofield has a court of six princesses: Hannah Allen, of University High School; Katie Sweeney, Mead; Jasmin Hallam, Rogers; Alexis Schwartz, Ferris; Linnea Kessler, Cheney; and Hailey Murray, West Valley.
Other scholarships awarded:
• Madison McHenry-Kroetch, of North Central High School, Communication Scholarship.
• Bethany Hand, Mt. Spokane, Inspiration Scholarship.
• Alyssa Mayfield, Medical Lake, Blossom Scholarship.
• Sarah Letsch, Shadle Park, Sparkle Scholarship.
• Julia Vogelsang, Northwest Christian, Academic Scholarship.
• Briony Denker, Gonzaga Prep, Community Service Scholarship.
• Kessler, who won the Family Night Scholarship.
• In addition to her two other scholarships, Scofield also took home the Spirit of Lilac Scholarship.