Idaho


Coeur d’Alene business set on fire, burglarized

A Coeur d’Alene business was set on fire and burglarized sometime late Sunday or early this morning, a news release from the Coeur d’Alene Police Department said.

Authorities were called to a reported fire at the Breakfast Nook at 1719 N. Fourth Street around 4:45 a.m. Owner Paul Wiles called 911 after noticing a strong odor while opening the business. Nobody was inside when he called. Firefighters smelled gasoline but found no fire.

Investigators found that part of the building had been on fire, but it was contained to a small area at the rear service entrance, the release said. The fire department used fans to clear the fumes. The fire occurred sometime after the restaurant closed on Sunday at 2 p.m., the release said.

Investigators found a gas can and matches at the scene and discovered a burglary had occurred during the same time frame. An undisclosed amount of cash was taken from the business office.



Click here to comment on this story »




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile