Facts about Libya’s election today for a 200-member General National Congress, the first nationwide vote since the ouster of Moammar Gadhafi last year:
• Eligible voters: 3.3 million.
• Registered voters: Almost 2.9 million.
• Not eligible to vote: Officials from Gadhafi’s regime.
• Results: Expected within a week of voting.
• Allocation of seats: 100 for Tripoli and the west, 60 for Benghazi and the east, 40 for southwest.
• Candidates seeking election: About 3,700, including 585 women.
• Main contenders: Muslim Brotherhood (Islamists), Al-Watan (Salafis and other Islamists), Alliance of National Forces (secular), National Front (veteran opposition to Gadhafi), National Centrist (former Finance Minister Ali Tarhouni).
• Next steps: New Assembly appoints Cabinet within 30 days. A second election for a 60-member body to write a new constitution. Referendum on constitution. Election for new parliament in 2013.
sponsored Kids learn about money from their parents.