Was born October 7, 1937 to Ray and Viv Semingson. He grew up in Crosby, ND, the place he considered heaven on earth. He joined the Navy out of high school, and travelled the world. Ron was so proud of his role as radioman in the Transantarctic expedition of Sir Edmund Hilary, and was proud to claim him as a friend. He had many wonderful stories to tell of this great adventure, including capturing breeding pairs of Emperor penguins for what would become the San Diego Zoo’s penguin exhibit.
A longtime administrator of nursing homes and care facilities, Ron found great joy in caring for the most frail and vulnerable of our citizens. It was not unusual for him to pop into a nursing home on a Saturday morning to make his famous pancakes for the staff and residents. Or if he knew he had a Norwegian resident he could be found in the kitchen making lefse.
A great horseman, Ron liked to drive the “big guys”, draft horses, and could handle a team as well as anyone out there.
Ron would travel to Rarotonga, in the Cook Islands every year, bringing much needed medical supplies to the island.
Ron never met a stranger. One of his most treasured friendships was with Jesse Korb, a young man fifty years Ron’s junior.
Ron leaves his son Ray; daughter Sharon Shipley; wife Alice; granddaughters Jana Semingson, Jesse Semingson, Brienne and Taelor Sorenson; brothers Bruce and Doug; sister Chery Jesse; his Nowegian Fjord Proudbottom Flikka; numerous friends, a few unmended fences, and a few enemies.
Services and interment will be in Crosby, North Dakota, Concordia Lutheran Church on August 25th at1 pm.
Donations may be made to United in Light Draft Horse Rescue.
Most read stories
- Principal of Coeur d’Alene High School dies in apparent suicide …
- John Blanchette: Players who make up Gonzaga’s future already garner attention at next level …
- Nigel Williams-Goss keeps close eye on Gonzaga, former prep teammate Braian Angola …
- Shawn Vestal: Cambridge Analytica was paid $50,000 for work in Spokane City Council races last year against Beggs, Mumm …
- A look back at Gonzaga’s history in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament …