Arrow-right Camera

Spokane

Fire traps blind resident

A fire at 534 E. Bridgeport Ave. began in a shed behind the duplex.  (Nina Culver  / Spokesman-Review )
A fire at 534 E. Bridgeport Ave. began in a shed behind the duplex. (Nina Culver / Spokesman-Review )

A fire that began in a garage behind a duplex in North Spokane trapped an elderly blind man, neighbors say. He was rescued unharmed by Spokane Fire Department personnel.

The man, whose name wasn’t immediately available, was in the duplex alone when the fire broke out, said neighbor Korinne Foote. She heard him pounding on doors and windows and saw him looking through the blinds, Foote said.

Firefighters broke down the door to rescue the man from East Bridgeport Avenue.

This story is developing and will be updated.


There are two comments on this story »