Police officials from San Francisco, Rochester, N.Y., Indianapolis and Stockton, Calif., have been selected as finalists for chief of police in the city of Spokane, Mayor David Condon announced today.
The finalists are:
• Daniel J. Mahoney, commanding officer of the Ingleside Police Station within the San Francisco Police Department. He oversees the daily police functions for the District of Ingleside, population: 123,000.
• George E. Markert, director of the Office of Public Integrity for Rochester, N.Y., and previously the executive deputy chief for the Rochester Police Department.
• Frank G. Straub, director of public safety in Indianapolis and former commissioner of the city of White Plains, N.Y.’s Department of Public Safety.
• Blair Ulring, retired police chief of Stockton, Calif. Ulring served in the Stockton Police Department for 28 years.
Condon said in a news release that the city remains on track to select a new chief by next month. The finalists were determined through two screening rounds. The mayor’s Advisory Board on Policing reviewed and ranked all applications, then several of the city’s senior managers interviewed the seven top candidates by phone.
The finalists will be in Spokane on July 25 to participate in five interview panels including one open to the public. The panels will include government executives, elected officials, current and retired law enforcement professionals, community and business leaders, members of the Public Safety Committee from the mayor’s transition team, Police Advisory Committee members and citizens.
The public will be able to attend the interviews conducted by the PAC in City Council chambers in the lower level of City Hall, 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd. These interviews also will be shown live on CityCable 5 and streamed on the City’s web site at www.spokanecity.org. CityCable 5 is the City’s government-access cable station and is found on channel 5 on the Comcast cable system.
The interviews will be 50 minutes long and are scheduled on July 25 as follows:
• 11:10 a.m. with Daniel Mahoney
• 1:15 p.m. with George Markert
• 2:20 p.m. with Frank Straub
• 3:25 p.m. with Blair Ulring
Additionally, citizens can attend a meet and greet reception with the chief candidates in the Chase Gallery in the lower level of City Hall from 4:30 to 6 p.m. on July 25.