July 28, 2012 in Sports

Steelers sign WR Antonio Brown to extension

Associated Press
 
Associated Press photo

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed wide receiver Antonio Brown to a five-year extension.
(Full-size photo)

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed wide receiver Antonio Brown to a five-year extension that will keep him with the team through the 2017 season.

Terms of the new deal announced Friday were not disclosed.

Brown, set to begin his third year in the league, was selected by Pittsburgh in the sixth round of the 2010 draft. He has totaled 85 receptions for 1,275 yards with two touchdowns in two seasons with the Steelers.

Last year, he was second on the team with 69 receptions for 1,108 yards and also had 1,062 return yards, becoming the first player in NFL history with 1,000 yards in both. He also earned a trip to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner.

Titans, league still seek facts in WR Britt’s arrest

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak usually considers the opening days of training camp his favorite in football yet already there are issues to face.

Two of the team’s top receivers, Kenny Britt and rookie Kendall Wright, are unavailable.

Britt latest arrest is his eighth run-in with the law since the Titans drafted him in the first round in 2009.

Munchak said the Titans and NFL must gather all the facts before any decisions are made. He said the league has a policy in place that addresses player conduct.

Wright remains unsigned.

Panthers’ Smith donates to Colorado victims

Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith is donating $100,000 to help the survivors of the movie-theater shooting in Colorado pay for medical expenses.

Smith didn’t know any of the victims of the July 20 shooting in Aurora, which left 12 people dead and 58 injured. But the news hit home because he says his oldest son, Peyton, was at a similar midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Returns” in Charlotte that same night.

Falcons’ Gonzalez leans towards retirement

Atlanta Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez said that he’s 95 percent sure the upcoming season will be his last.

Gonzalez said he wasn’t ready to completely rule out a return in 2013 because he’s learned “to never say never.”

Last November, Gonzalez passed Terrell Owens, Tim Brown, Cris Carter and Marvin Harrison to become the NFL’s No. 2-career leading receiver with 1,149 catches.

Gonzalez said he believes he could play at a high level for perhaps another three years after earning his 12th trip to the Pro Bowl last season. At 36, however, he doesn’t want to hang around too long.

Around the league

Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best has been put on the active physically unable to perform list. … Aldon Smith has apologized to San Francisco 49ers fans and teammates for two off-the-field incidents since last season ended. … The Minnesota Vikings have placed running back Adrian Peterson on the active physically unable to perform list to start training camp. … Rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill, still unsigned, missed the Miami Dolphins’ first practice of training camp Friday. … Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, Kansas City’s leader in receptions and receiving yards the past three years, was not on the field as the Chiefs opened training camp.

© Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email