Couple lose home in north Spokane fire
Two north Spokane residents lost their home to a fire late Wednesday.
Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said crews were called to 1523 W. Knox Ave. about 8:50 p.m. The two-story home was fully involved when crews arrived. Smoke was clearly visible from downtown.
Rhonda Carter, who lived in the house with her boyfriend, Eddie Leschki, said she was doing laundry at a friend’s house nearby when the fire started. When she arrived home, Leschki was outside.
He had burned his hand trying to pull a table out of the house that he thought was the source of the fire, Carter said.
Schaeffer said Leschki was treated on the scene.
Carter said she lived at the home for 24 years. Schaeffer said utilities had been cut off to the home before the fire.
He said the fire was considered suspicious, in part because of past vandalism at the home.