Arrow-right Camera

Spokane

Then and Now photos: Glover Mansion

Mon., June 25, 2012, midnight

The former home of the ‘Father of Spokane’

James Nettle Glover arrived in Spokan Falls from Oregon in 1873, and he used the Land Act of 1820 to gain title to the town site originally settled by James Downing and Seth Scranton. Glover and his partners started a mill, a bank, a livery stable and other businesses. He convinced General Sherman to station soldiers in Spokane in 1877 to repel warring Indian tribes, and under their security Spokan Falls flourished. Glover recruited doctors, merchants, lawyers and ministers to populate the downtown street plan he laid out, which is why he is still called the “Father of Spokane.” Glover’s home, designed by Kirtland Cutter at 321 Eighth Ave., cost $100,000 in 1888. In the economic panic of 1893, Glover lost most of his money and the house was taken by the bank. He recovered his fortune and was listed as one of Spokane’s richest citizens in 1903. Glover died in 1921. The Glover Mansion is now a wedding and event center owned by Bob and Kim Adolfson. – Jesse Tinsley


There are two comments on this story »