Arrow-right Camera


In brief: Trio arrested after man beaten unconscious

Three men were arrested after another man was beaten unconscious in downtown Spokane on Wednesday night.

Witnesses reported three men, one armed with a baseball bat, assaulting the man near West Second Avenue and South Jefferson Street about 8 p.m.

One of the men kicked the unconscious man in his head, a witness told Spokane police.

Witnesses flagged down Officer Christopher Brasch near West Fourth Avenue and South Madison Street and identified three suspects.

Clayton M. Cotter, 21; Schuyler R. Cotter, 19; and Michael W. Baesman, 34; were arrested and jailed on a second-degree assault charge.

Meghann M. Cuniff

Valley firefighters to assist in Colorado

Four firefighters from the Spokane Valley Fire Department were to leave town today to assist with the wildfires raging across Colorado. The crew, which just completed the department’s annual wildland fire training, expects to arrive in Denver for staging on Saturday evening.

Capt. Jon Sprague said he expects that they will be on the fire lines by Sunday. “The problem is that there are so many fires they can’t manage them all,” he said of Colorado firefighters. “They’re bringing in as many teams as they can.”

The four-man crew could be in Colorado for up to two weeks.

All four of the firefighters usually work out of Station 9 at 12121 E. 32nd Ave. Fire Marshal Kevin Miller said other firefighters will cover their shifts.

Nina Culver

Coroner awaiting tests on Ironman athlete

Details about the cause and manner of death for Ironman Coeur d’Alene triathlete Sean Murphy may not be released for several weeks.

The Kootenai County coroner’s office must wait until results from microscopic tissue tests from Murphy’s autopsy are complete before disclosing information about the cause and manner of his death, said Beth Clemens, chief deputy coroner.

Ironman personnel spotted Murphy, 44, struggling in Lake Coeur d’Alene on Sunday about 20 minutes into the race and pulled him out of the water. They tried to resuscitate him at the medical tent before transferring him to Kootenai Medical Center, according to a coroner’s office statement.

Murphy stayed on life support there until he died at 1:07 Tuesday afternoon.

Justin Runquist