March 10, 2012 in Washington Voices

Chimney fire caused by wood stove

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

A chimney fire and a garage fire got big responses from Spokane Valley Fire Department crews the week of March 1-7.

The chimney fire was reported at 12:48 a.m. Monday in the 15100 block of East Sixth Avenue. Firefighters had to rip holes in the walls and roof to put out the flames, said assistant fire marshal Bill Clifford. The fire was caused by an improperly installed wood stove.

A detached garage in the 5100 block of North Evergreen Road caught on fire at 8:22 p.m. Tuesday. “There were a couple of older vehicles in there along with tools,” Clifford said. The fire was caused by combustibles placed too close to a wood stove and caused $25,000 in damage.

A small stove-top fire was reported in the 2800 block of North Willow Road on Tuesday. A small arson fire was reported at a mobile home in the 19200 block of East Buckeye Avenue on March 1. The fire caused only $500 in damage, Clifford said.

Crews also responded twice for illegal trash fires to the same address in the 7400 block of North Moose Lane. The department had previously responded to that address for the same reason several times, Clifford said. The homeowners have been cited by the Spokane Regional Clean Air Agency for their repeated violations, Clifford said. “Hopefully we won’t have to go out there again,” he said.

The department responded to a total of 221 calls during the week, 185 of which were EMS calls. A pedestrian was hit while using a crosswalk at Sprague Avenue and Sullivan Road at 5:50 a.m. Monday. The man complained of hip pain and was taken to the hospital, Clifford said.

A resident in the 7200 block of East Trent Avenue called 911 on Monday to report smelling gasoline. It turned out that the man’s neighbor had parked his mini scooter in front of the air intake, Clifford said.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email