Religion Notebook: Palm Sunday events kick off Holy Week
Holy Week will soon be upon us, with Palm Sunday events kicking things off next week.
• The Spokane Dream Center will present “Behold Jesus!,” its 15th annual Easter drama, at the INB Performing Arts Center, 334 W. Spokane Falls Blvd., at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. Saturday.
The cast of more than 150 people includes business professionals, lawyers, nurses, homeless individuals, families, ex-addicts and college students who all share a common bond: a changed life thanks to Jesus.
Each performance is free.
Information: (509) 924-2630.
• St. John’s Lutheran Church , 5810 S. Meadowland Road, will hold worship with Holy Communion at 9:30 a.m. Palm Sunday. The Women’s Chorus will also perform. Information: (509) 747-0984.
• St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, 5720 S. Perry St., will observe Palm Sunday/Passion Sunday with a Holy Eucharist service Saturday at 5 p.m. and Sunday at 8 and 10:15 a.m.
Information: (509) 448-2255.
• Northwood Presbyterian Church, 6721 N. Monroe, will offer a Procession of the Palms service at 10:30 a.m. Palm Sunday.
Information: (509) 328-2012.
• Fowler United Methodist Church, 3928 N. Howard St., will hold a Palm Sunday service featuring a Procession of the Palms and special music at 10:30 a.m. Information: (509) 325-3242.
• Hamblen Park Presbyterian Church , 4102 S. Crestline, will offer Palm Sunday worship services at 9 and 10:30 a.m.
During the 9 a.m. service, Sunday school students will bring fish banks full of coins for donation to One Great Hour of Sharing.
Starting at 8:30 a.m. Sunday, the deacons of the church will host a bake sale that will continue through the morning. Proceeds will benefit the deacons’ Camp Spalding scholarship program. Information: (509) 448-2909.
• Green Bluff Church, 9908 Green Bluff Road, will offer a Palm Sunday worship service at 10 a.m. Information: (509) 238-9100.
• St. David’s Episcopal Church , 7315 N. Wall St., will present a Palm Procession, Communion and a Passion reading at 9 a.m. Palm Sunday. The church will also offer the Holy Week story for all ages from 4 to 6 p.m. Information: (509) 466-3100.
• Immaculate Heart Retreat Center, 6910 S. Ben Burr Road, will offer a silent retreat, “Getting to the Heart of the Matter: Understanding the Scripture of Holy Week” Monday through Wednesday for women and April 5-7 for men.
During the retreat, the Rev. Rory Pitstick will invite participants to enter into the sacred Scriptures of Holy Week to gain deeper understanding of the Paschal mystery.
The retreat will offer opportunity for reflection, meditation and spiritual renewal.
The cost to attend is $190 per person, which includes overnight accommodations and six meals, or $115 for commuters.
The center has postponed its “Living through Grief” retreat until November.
Information: (509) 448-1224, ext. 105.
• Moran United Methodist Church, 3601 E. Freya St., will present Palm Sunday worship services at 10 and 11:30 a.m.
Information: (509) 448-7102.
• St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 2404 N. Howard St., will present a Tenebrae service at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Latin for “darkness,” Tenebrae services include a series of Psalms read as candles are extinguished, symbolizing the final hours of Jesus and his Resurrection.
Information: (509) 325-5252.
• Manito United Methodist Church, 3220 S. Grand Blvd., will offer a Palm Parade on Sunday at 10:15 a.m. The parade will be led by bagpiper John Blunt.
Palm Sunday service will follow the parade at 10:30 a.m.
Information: (509) 747-4755.
Introduction to Buddhism
Spokane Buddhist Temple, 927 S. Perry St., will present an Introduction to Buddhism lecture Sunday at 9 a.m. Sensei Paul Vielle will conduct the lecture.
The temple’s regular 10:30 a.m. service will follow.
Information: (509) 534-7954.
Lidgerwood Presbyterian Church, 4449 N. Nevada St., will show the silent version of “Ben-Hur” on Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. Free snacks will be served.
Information: (509) 487-9667.
Unitarian Universalist Church, 4340 W. Fort George Wright Drive, will hold a Stuff Sale, an indoor rummage sale with 20 vendors of collectibles, crafts, books and more from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
Proceeds will benefit the church Adult Enrichment Team’s scholarship and speaker fund.
Information: email Maggie Montana, firstname.lastname@example.org.