May 1, 2012 in Nation/World

In brief: AAA faults design of road at crash site

From Wire Reports
 

NEW YORK – The section of highway where an accident sent seven members of a Bronx family flying over a guardrail and plummeting to their deaths has narrow lanes, steep hills, tight turns, inadequate guardrails and no breakdown lane, an auto safety group said Monday.

The Bronx River Parkway “lacks modern transportation engineering features,” said Robert Sinclair, spokesman for the American Automobile Association’s New York City affiliate.

Three sections of the parkway in the Bronx, including one at or near the accident site, are on the state Transportation Department’s 5 Percent List, a federally mandated report of locations “exhibiting the most severe highway safety needs.”

The driver, Maria Gonzalez, clipped a highway divider and damaged a tire Sunday afternoon before her SUV plunged off a highway and six stories down into a ravine, killing three generations of a family.

Governor raises $13 million in recall

MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has raised more than $13 million in three months for a recall election, a jaw-dropping feat that easily shattered the fundraising record he set last year.

Walker became the target of a recall election after he pushed through legislation last year eliminating most public union workers’ bargaining rights. His showdown with labor leaders and their Democratic allies made him a celebrity in Republican circles and enabled him to rake in campaign cash at a pace never before seen in Wisconsin.

He set a record for fundraising for a state office last year when he pulled in $12.1 million. But that pales next to his fundraising so far this year. Campaign finance reports filed with state elections officials Monday show he collected $13.1 million between Jan. 18 and April 23.

Student forgotten in cell for five days

SAN DIEGO – Federal authorities said they will review their detention policies after they left a forgotten 24-year-old college student in a holding cell for five days.

The unidentified man and eight others were detained following a drug bust on April 21. Seven suspects were taken to county jail, and another was released, but the student from the University of California, San Diego, was somehow left behind, said Amy Roderick, a spokeswoman for the Drug Enforcement Administration.

It wasn’t clear if he had any access to food or water.

Last Wednesday, paramedics were summoned to the cell and took the man to a hospital, where he was treated and released.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus