Children playing with matches caused some problems for the Spokane Valley Fire Department from April 19 to May 2, with crews responding to two fires.
The department was called to the 900 block of South Rees Road at 5:27 p.m. on April 19. A 5-year-old boy was playing with matches or a lighter and was lighting wires and tubes on a four-wheeler on fire, Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford said. One of the things he lit was the fuel line, Clifford said. The four-wheeler caught on fire and burned down to the frame. The boy was not injured.
A 9-year-old with a box of matches caused a fire in the 2500 block of South Timberlane Drive at 6:26 p.m. on April 28. “He was lighting them and throwing them over the fence, which set the field on fire behind their residence,” Clifford said.
The most significant fire during the two weeks was one that consumed several car batteries on a wheeled cart inside a business in the 8100 block of East Trent Avenue on Sunday. The fire caused about $1,500 in damages, Clifford said. A Dumpster fire was reported in the 5300 block of East Desmet Avenue at 12:21 a.m. on April 25. There were also seven illegal recreational fires or yard debris fires reported during the two weeks.
A brush fire was reported along the Spokane River near the Valley YMCA. “Some people were burning in an illegal fire pit in the ground,” Clifford said. “Their fire was extinguished and they were educated.”
In all the department responded to 455 calls during the two weeks, 375 of which were for EMS. There was one river rescue call at 4 p.m. on April 28 downstream of Harvard Road. Crews rescued a father and son after their canoe capsized. “They were clinging to a log,” Clifford said.
There were 26 car accidents reported and a high number of those caused injuries. Fifteen people were taken to the hospital for treatment while an additional 10 people with injuries didn’t want to be transported, Clifford said. Among them were a broadside accident at Trent and Pines on April 24 and a woman who flipped her car April 29 after apparently suffering a medical problem.