Dear Annie: I am a college senior, graduating in May. I am currently undertaking two internships, and one of them will include a job offer when a position opens up. But I don’t know if I should take it.
I have always had a passionate desire to live in Europe. Since childhood, I have never wanted anything so much. Last year, I studied abroad in England, and it only made me more determined to go back.
The internship job is terrific. I’d love the position, and it’s also possible that there will be an opportunity to go to Europe as part of the program now and then. Or, I could chase my dreams and move to Ireland after graduation. I have found a one-year work-abroad program for recent graduates there.
My parents think going to Ireland would be a mistake. They are worried that I won’t find a job or a place to live. Their disapproval makes my decision so much harder, but, Annie, if I don’t go now, I might miss the only opportunity I will ever have to do it.
People always postpone their dreams for the sake of practicality and then realize too late that they never had the courage to live the life they imagined. Please help me decide whether to follow my head or my heart. – Head in the Clouds
Dear Head: A job is important, and the one you are looking at is a good one. But this year is likely to be the best (if not only) opportunity you will have to spend a year in a foreign country. It’s also possible that the internship position will not “open up” for another six months or more. We think you should go to Ireland. But we also suggest discussing it with your current employer and asking whether the available position will still be around when you return. If they can be accommodating, it would satisfy your “dream” as well as your parents.