Free rapid HIV tests will be available in early June throughout North Idaho.
The tests produce results in about 15 minutes, according to the Panhandle Health District, which is offering the tests at all five of its offices.
You need to make an appointment to receive a free test. Testing dates and the numbers to call for appointments:
• Hayden: June 1 and June 5; 8500 N. Atlas Road. Call (208) 415-5270.
• St. Maries: June 4; 137 N. Eighth St. Call (208) 245-4556.
• Kellogg: June 5; 114 Riverside Ave. Call (208) 786-7474.
• Bonners Ferry: June 7; 7402 Caribou St. Call (208) 267-5558.
• Sandpoint: Appointments are available through the end of June at the health district office, 1020 Michigan St. Call (208) 263-5159.
The rapid HIV test uses blood from a finger stick. If test results are positive, blood will be drawn from the patient for a confirmation test, according to a news release from the health district. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that one in five people with HIV don’t know they’re infected.