Otis Orchards barn owner escapes fire
A barn fire in Otis Orchards this morning slowed traffic on Trent Avenue this morning, but no one was hurt in the fire, officials said.
The fire at 21301 E. Trent started when the barn owner overfilled the fuel tank of a tractor and then pulled a power cord attached to the tractor’s battery, causing a spark that ignited the fuel, according to a news release from Spokane Valley Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. The man escaped safely and called 911.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which was showing through the roof when they arrived. The barn, built in the 1950s, was part of Wheelers Produce, Clifford said.
As traffic slowed on Trent, a collision caused by distracted drivers resulted in minor injuries, the release said.