Arrow-right Camera


In brief: Wanted man emerges from car’s trunk

A felon wanted on multiple Idaho warrants hid in the trunk of a car during a police traffic stop last week.

Sheriff’s deputies say they saw 27-year-old Justin R. Brown get into a car as a passenger just after midnight Friday in the area of Third Avenue and Freya Street in Spokane and knew North Idaho Violent Crimes Task Force was looking for Brown, according to a police news release.

Spokane police pulled over the vehicle near Sprague Avenue and Havana Street.

Brown was missing from the vehicle when they looked inside. They found he had crawled into the trunk of the Chevy Impala through the back seat prior to the stop, the release said.

Brown eventually got out of the trunk after police gave several orders. Brown was taken into custody on felony fugitive charges and was extradited to Kootenai County Jail, where he faces multiple charges.

Driver fleeing police hits car downtown

A driver being pursued by Spokane police in downtown Spokane hit another driver Saturday evening, police said.

The female victim suffered minor injuries when the pursued driver, later identified by authorities as 29-year-old Noah T. Grant, hit her vehicle in the intersection of Second Avenue and Jefferson Street.

Officers spotted Grant around 5:40 p.m. at Maple Street and Fourth Avenue.

The driver was poorly navigating the streets, making police believe he might be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Police said Grant ran a red light and hit another car after he was pursued.

Grant fled on foot down Railroad Alley, became trapped and was arrested, police said in court documents.

A switchblade knife found near Grant’s vehicle was picked up as evidence.

Grant was booked into Spokane County Jail on suspicion of vehicle hit-and-run with injury, attempt to elude a pursuing police vehicle, possession of a dangerous weapon, resisting arrest, driving with a suspended license and reckless driving.

Man arrested after chase, suicide attempt

A man who allegedly beat his wife was arrested early Tuesday, but not before he fled from Spokane police and attempted suicide.

The woman, who was being treated at Providence Holy Family Hospital, told police at about 11 p.m. Monday that her husband assaulted her at the Liberty Motel, 6801 N. Division St.  She suffered multiple injuries, including a broken ear drum, a police news release said. The suspect, identified as 43-year-old David A. Campbell, also known as David A. Ward, held the victim, along with her mother and children, in their motel room, police said.  

Officers later found Campbell getting into a car in the motel parking lot. He led them on a slow-speed pursuit, but police blocked him in on a dead end.

Campbell refused to get out of the car, and using chemical irritant had no effect on him, police said. The man then apparently attempted suicide and was transported to a hospital, where he was treated for a cut on his wrist.

He was booked into Spokane County Jail on suspicion of violation of a no-contact order and attempt to elude.

Guilty plea in tainting of campground

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho – A 48-year-old Salmon man who used a federal campground to burn coating off copper wire causing elevated levels of lead in the ground has pleaded guilty to destruction of government property.

William Allen Hurlbut pleaded guilty Monday in U.S. District Court.

Authorities say Hurlbut in April 2010 used the Birch Creek Campground in Clark County to burn the protective coating off 200 pounds of copper wire. The campground land is administered by the Bureau of Land Management.

The BLM says it cost $3,500 to remove contamination from the site.

Hurlbut faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 at his sentencing set for Jan. 23.

Accidental fall claims student at Oregon

EUGENE – Police in Eugene said that a 22-year-old University of Oregon student was fatally injured in an accidental fall from an apartment rooftop.

Alexander Atkins died at an area hospital on Sunday, nearly 24 hours after he fell Saturday evening.

Police said Tuesday that Atkins apparently had been drinking before he fell.

Police spokeswoman Jenna McCulley said a police report does not indicate why Atkins had been on the roof.

Man hit, killed on Interstate 82

UNION GAP, Wash. – A man killed on Interstate 82 early Tuesday near Union Gap had been involved in a previous accident on a county road, the Washington State Patrol said.

Lt. Terry Liebrecht said the man had driven into a tree and was apparently walking to a residence in the rural area when he was hit by a semitruck and maybe another vehicle. He died at the scene at 2:45 a.m.

He was later identified as 20-year-old Charles Robertson, of Yakima.

It’s been year since boy, 2, disappeared

BELLEVUE – Tuesday marked one year since a 2-year-old boy mysteriously disappeared in Bellevue.

The mother of Sky Metalwala told police she ran out of gas and left her son in the car while she and her 4-year-old daughter walked to a gas station for help. When they returned, he was gone.

Searchers found no sign of Sky. Police found the car had gas and ran normally. The mother, Julia Biryukova, has refused to answer questions from investigators.

Police said Tuesday it remains an active investigation and effort on the case never stopped.

The mother and the boy’s father, Solomon Metalwala, have divorced, and he now has custody of Sky’s sister.