Local news

Neighbors rescue man from north Spokane home

Neighbors called 911 then led an elderly man to safety after a home in north Spokane caught fire on Sunday afternoon.

Spokane firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the rear of the single-story wood home at 1426 E. Decatur Ave. when they arrived at 12:22 p.m.

They had heard a report that a man was trapped in the building’s basement, a news release from Spokane Fire Department said. However, neighbors who heard the smoke alarms had called 911 then used a fire extinguisher to help contain the fire. They also were able to awaken the elderly man in the basement and lead him to safety, the release said.

Firefighters had the fire under control within 15 minutes of arriving and a paramedic cared for the resident. No injuries were reported.

The fire was accidental, caused by smoking materials placed too close to combustibles, the release said. Damage was limited to an external area in the rear of the home.



There is one comment on this story »







Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile