Marcus Banducci of Lake City, a redshirt sophomore at York, Neb., placed fourth out of 18 wrestlers in the 133-pound weight class at the 17-team Bethany Swede Open in Lindsborg, Kan., last weekend.
Banducci received a bye in the first round, then won by a pin and a decision before losing in the semifinals. He won by pin in his first match in the consolation bracket before losing 10-8 in the third-fourth-place match.
• Andrew Kimpel, a Washington State senior from North Central, and Courtney Zalud, a junior from Mt. Spokane, were named to Pac-12 Conference all-academic teams in cross country.
Kimpel made the men’s second team with a 3.35 grade-point average in management information systems. Zalud was honorable mention on the women’s team with a 3.24 GPA in social sciences.
• Delaney Zalud, a Washington State junior from Mt. Spokane, repeated as an honorable mention selection on the Pac-12 all-academic team in women’s soccer.
• Western Washington senior Laurie Yearout of Lewis and Clark was selected for the third straight year on the Great Northwest Athletic Conference all-academic team in volleyball. She has a 3.63 GPA in English literature.
Kaely Kight, a Central Washington sophomore from Mead, was named to the team for the first time. She has a 3.32 GPA with an undeclared major.
• Four area athletes received national Daktronics-NAIA scholar-athlete awards in cross country.
Honored on the men’s team were Kyle Croft, a Corban (Ore.) junior from Valley Christian, and Ryan Booth, an Eastern Oregon senior from Post Falls.
Kenna Middleton, a College of Idaho junior from Lakeside of Nine Mile Falls, and Ellen Dexter, a Concordia (Ore.) senior from East Valley, were on the women’s team.
• Cora Kellerman from volleyball and Will Post from football were selected the Eastern Washington student-athletes of the month for November.
Kellerman, from La Conner, Wash., has a 3.79 GPA in electrical engineering. Post, from Portland, has a 3.26 GPA in communications. This is the second time Kellerman has received the award.
• Kylie Edinger, a senior at Gonzaga, has been named to the second team on the 2012-13 Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII women’s volleyball team for a second straight year. Edinger has a 3.91 GPA in human physiology.
• Will Davis, a Utah State senior defensive back from Central Valley, was named the Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week in football for his performance in the Aggies’ 38-7 home win over Texas State on Nov. 3.
Davis had five tackles (four solo), one pass breakup, one quarterback hurry and recorded his third interception in as many weeks, picking off a Bobcats’ pass in the end zone.
• Eastern Washington senior safety Jeff Minnerly has “three-peated” on the Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII football team, and was joined by teammates Ashton Miller and Jordan Talley this year.
Minnerly, a 2008 graduate of Ferris, has a 3.78 GPA with a double major in finance and electrical engineering. Miller, a junior offensive center, has a 3.66 GPA in management. Talley, a junior running back, is a pre-medicine major with a 3.49 GPA.
• Jake DeGooyer and Brodrick Hirai from Whitworth have been named to the CoSIDA NCAA Division III Academic All-District VIII college division football team.
DeGooyer, a senior wide receiver majoring in biology, has a 3.41 GPA. Hirai, a junior defensive tackle with a biology major (pre-medicine), has a 3.85 GPA in earning academic all-district honors for a second time.
• Mary Rogers, a Western Washington senior from Shadle Park, was named to the Great Northwest Athletic Conference academic all-star team in cross country for a third straight year with a 3.88 GPA in pre-medicine.
• Cassie Black, an Eastern Washington sophomore soccer player, was named to the Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII second team with a 3.76 GPA in pre-medicine.
High school scene
Five area athletes were among 20 seniors from the state of Washington nominated in the Wendy’s High School Heisman Award program.
Brittani Urann of St. Michael’s and Lizzy Estes of Mt. Spokane were female nominees, while Gunnar Kayser of Mead, Tyler Mundt of Rosalia and David Garza of Othello were among the male nominees.
Ryan Baumgart of DeSales in Walla Walla and Madalyn Seidl of Castle Rock were the Washington winners.