Lateashea Currie burst through a pair of Clackamas defenders in the 90th minute and won a one-on-one battle with the goalkeeper to give the Community Colleges of Spokane women’s soccer team a 1-0 win over the Cougars in an NWAACC semifinal match Friday in Tukwila, Wash.
The Sasquatch (16-1-3) held a dominating 16-2 advantage in shots, but didn’t have much success against Clackamas (14-4) goalkeeper Melanie Trumbull, who had 10 saves.
CCS’ Jamie Krediet kept the pressure on with six shots. The Sasquatch will play Peninsula today at 1 p.m. for the title.
North Idaho won duals against Simon Fraser and Highline in Coeur d’Alene.
Brock Banta (125 pounds), Jarrett Morrill (141), Jeremy Golding (149), Nicholas Morena (157) and Kyle Sweedman (174) all won twice for the Cardinals.
After a loss to Blue Mountain, Community Colleges of Spokane fought back and beat Walla Walla to earn a spot in today’s NWAACC tournament championship match at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, Ore.
The Sasquatch (31-10) opened with a 25-19, 25-11, 25-19 loss to Blue Mountain in the semifinals. CCS then defeated Walla Walla (35-11) to earn a rematch with the Timberwolves (42-4) in today’s title match. The Sasquatch will need to win twice for the championship.
• North Idaho claimed eighth place after falling in straight sets to Hillsborough at the NJCAA tournament in West Plains, Mo. Scores were 25-23, 25-20 and 29-27.
• Cassie Strickland had 10 kills and Jenna Orlandi had 14 digs as No. 6 Washington (22-5, 13-5) swept Oregon State (14-16, 4-14) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Seattle. Scores were 25-15, 25-13 and 25-22.
• Alaina Bergsma had 32 kills and 15 digs as No. 4 Oregon (23-4 14-4) beat Washington State 23-25, 25-23, 25-22, 25-18 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Pullman.
Jaicee Harris had 20 kills and 15 digs and Rachel Todorovich and Marcilina Glab added 11 kills apiece for WSU (12-18, 2-16).
• Jazmine Orozco and Katie Messing combined for 21 kills as Pepperdine (19-11, 8-8) swept Gonzaga (9-20, 1-15) in a West Coast Conference match in Malibu, Calif. Scores were 25-16, 25-23 and 25-14.
Jordan Gasser led the Bulldogs with 11 kills and nine digs.
• Audrey Biggs had 15 kills and Weber State (11-21, 4-16) topped Eastern Washington 27-25, 25-17, 23-25, 25-22 in a Big Sky Conference match in Cheney.
Cora Kellerman led the Eagles (5-26, 5-15) with 16 kills. Laney Brown dished out 45 assists.
Bethany Fleming had 17 points and nine rebounds as Whitworth (2-0) beat Mary Hardin-Baylor (0-2) 84-53 in a nonconference game in Georgetown, Tex.
K.C. McConnell had 16 points for the Pirates, who made 24 of 29 free throws.
• CC Spokane couldn’t make up a 13-point deficit at the half, falling to Everett 68-62 in the Everett Classic. The Sasquatch (1-1) had a 53-26 advantage on the boards, but that didn’t make up for 31.7 percent shooting. Rylie Holsinger led CCS with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Erin Feeney led Everett with 31 points.
Shadle Park graduate and current Northern Arizona runner Nathan Weitz took 80th place and the Lumberjacks raced to fourth place at the NCAA Division I Championship in Louisville, Ky.
Oklahoma State won the men’s title and Oregon was the women’s champion.
The Washington women took ninth.
Washington State’s Todd Wakefield finished 111th.
Linfield forced five turnovers and held on to beat Pacific Lutheran 27-24 in the first round of the NCAA Division III playoffs in McMinnville, Ore.
The Wildcats (10-0) next play North Central (Illinois).
Click here to comment on this story »