November 29, 2012 in City

Four hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in Otis Orchards

 

Three adults and an infant were hospitalized this morning for carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

Valley firefighters had responded to a “general sickness” medical call on East Eastland Road in Otis Orchards and were treating a 21-year-old woman when their carbon monoxide monitor sounded an alarm. “It’s mounted to their medical kit,” said assistant fire marshal Bill Clifford.

The three adults in the room weren’t very responsive to questioning and the baby appeared to be asleep, said Clifford. Firefighters initially thought the carbon monoxide detector was malfunctioning and reset it. When it went off again, they took it outside to reset it. The alarm sounded for a third time when the detector was brought back in the house.

The firefighters immediately began treating all four for carbon monoxide poisoning, Clifford said. The baby and the 21-year-old woman were the most seriously ill, he said. All four people were taken to local hospitals for further treatment.

Avista is investigating the source of the carbon monoxide, Clifford said. Testing showed the carbon monoxide was at “uninhabitable” levels, he said. The current condition of the four is not known.

Carbon monoxide comes from engines, cooking or heating stoves, lanterns, heating systems and burning charcoal or wood, the fire department said. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, and severe poisoning can be fatal.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus