October 1, 2012 in City

Then & Now: First and Howard in 1898

Radio store gave way to Columbia Building
 
Doerr-Mitchell and Co., selling electrical and radio supplies, opened in Spokane in 1897. Purchasing manager William “Billy” Irish was a radio hobbyist who took over a neighbor’s home-built transmitter in the late 1910s. Irish’s “pirate” station, KFZ, became official in March 1922, a first in Spokane. From his home on West Ninth Avenue, he would broadcast live “concerts,” which the Spokane Chronicle said was “daily entertainment for radio fans … as far as Whitefish, Montana and Walla Walla.” Doerr-Mitchell eventually became Columbia Electric and Manufacturing. In 2002, Columbia became part of Hubbell Lighting and closed its Spokane plant in 2009. The Columbia Building, designed by the firm of Herman Preusse and Julius Zittel, was built on this site by former U.S. Sen. George Turner in 1907. – Jesse Tinsley

1898: The Maxwell Building housed Doerr-Mitchell and Co. at 101 S. Howard St. The company sold electrical and radio supplies.

Jesse Tinsley photo Buy this photo
Present day: Kenta Nishimori, sushi manager at The Wave, places an order outside the restaurant in the Columbia Building at First and Howard.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus