Mike Glennon found Bryan Underwood for a 2-yard touchdown pass on fourth down with 16 seconds left, helping North Carolina State rally to beat third-ranked Florida State 17-16 on Saturday night in Raleigh, N.C.
The Seminoles (5-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) appeared poised to strengthen their grip on their division, leading 16-0 at halftime behind a dominating defensive performance. But the Wolfpack (4-2, 1-1) inched closer after halftime before coming up with a game-turning blocked punt by Mike Rose with 2:27 left, giving the ball back to Glennon at the FSU 43 with a chance to complete a stunning comeback.
Glennon marched the Wolfpack down the field and completed a pair of fourth-down passes, the second when he found Underwood alone over the middle to tie the game and take the lead on the ensuing point-after kick.
FSU drove near midfield in the final seconds, but the Wolfpack defense knocked down EJ Manuel’s desperation heave near the goal line to end it.
The play sent the Wolfpack players spilling onto the field.
It marked the second straight year the Wolfpack had beaten a highly ranked division rival at home. Last season, the Wolfpack upset No. 7 Clemson 37-13 for the program’s first win against a top-10 team under Tom O’Brien.
(10) Florida 14, (4) LSU 6: Mike Gillislee ran for a career-high 146 yards and two TDs, bringing Florida to life in the second half as the Gators (5-0, 4-0 SEC) beat the Tigers (5-1, 1-1) in Gainesville, Fla.
(6) South Carolina 35, (5) Georgia 7: Connor Shaw threw two TD passes and ran for a score, Ace Sanders had a dazzling 70-yard punt return TD and the Gamecocks (6-0, 4-0 SEC) defense dominated the Bulldogs (5-1, 3-1) in Columbia, S.C.
The Gamecocks won their school-record 10th straight game.
(7) Kansas State 56, Kansas 16: John Hubert ran for 101 yards and four TDs on just 10 carries, quarterback Collin Klein had two touchdowns running and throwing and the Wildcats (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) routed the Jayhawks (1-4, 0-2) in Manhattan, Kan.
(8) West Virginia 48, (11) Texas 45: Geno Smith passed for four TDs – giving him 24 this season without an interception – to lead the Mountaineers (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) to their second straight shootout conference win, beating the Longhorns (4-1, 1-1) in Austin, Texas.
Joe Bergeron scored four TDs, all on short runs, for Texas.
(9) Notre Dame 41, Miami 3: Cierre Wood rushed for 118 yards and two TDs and George Atkinson III added 123 yards and a score to give Notre Dame its first 100-yard rushing duo in a decade as the Fighting Irish (5-0) rolled to a convincing victory over the Hurricanes (4-2) at Soldier Field in Chicago.
(12) Ohio State 63, (20) Nebraska 38: Quarterback Braxton Miller rushed for 186 yards, zig-zagging 72 yards for one score and passing for another, to lead the Buckeyes (6-0, 2-0 Big Ten) past the Cornhuskers (4-2, 1-1) before 106,102 fans – the largest crowd ever at Ohio Stadium in Columbus.
(15) Clemson 47, Georgia Tech 31: Tajh Boyd threw for a career high 397 yards and two TDs and DeAndre Hopkins had 173 yards receiving with a score as the Tigers (5-1, 2-1 ACC) beat the Yellow Jackets (2-4, 1-3) in Clemson, S.C.
Iowa State 37, (15) TCU 23: Jared Barnett threw three TD passes to Josh Lenz, who later had a scoring toss of his own on a trick play, and the Cyclones (4-1, 1-1 Big 12) ended the 12-game winning streak of the Horned Frogs (4-1, 1-1) with a victory in Fort Worth, Texas.
(17) Oklahoma 41, Texas Tech 20: Landry Jones passed for two TDs, Blake Bell ran for two more and the Sooners (3-1, 1-1 Big 12) beat the Red Raiders (4-1, 1-1) in Lubbock, Texas.
(20) Mississippi State 27, Kentucky 14: Tyler Russell passed for two TDs and the Bulldogs (5-0, 2-0 SEC) held the Wildcats (1-5, 0-3) to just 228 yards on offense in a victory in Lexington, Ky.
(22) Rutgers 19, Connecticut 3: Jawan Jamison ran for 110 yards and Wayne Warren returned an interception 25 yards for a TD as the Scarlet Knights (5-0, 2-0 Big East) breezed to a win over the Huskies (3-3, 0-1) in Piscataway, N.J.
Penn State 39, (24) Northwestern 28: Quarterback Matt McGloin had the go-ahead score with a 5-yard TD run with 2:37 left and the Nittany Lions (4-2, 2-0 Big Ten) rallied from 11 points down in the fourth quarter to beat the Wildcats (5-1, 1-1) in State College, Pa.
Navy 28, Air Force 21 (OT): Right guard Jake Zuzek recovered quarterback Keenan Reynolds’ fumbled snap in the end zone and the Midshipmen (2-3) beat the Falcons (2-3) in overtime in Air Force Academy, Colo.
Army 34, Boston College 31: Trent Steelman rushed for 141 yards and scored three times, including a decisive 29-yard TD run with 45 seconds left, and the Black Knights (1-4) beat the Eagles (1-4) in West Point, N.Y., to snap an eight-game losing streak.
Arkansas 24, Auburn 7: Dennis Johnson rushed for two TDs and the Razorbacks (2-4, 1-2 SEC) defense had eight sacks to help snap a four-game skid with a victory over the Tigers (1-4, 0-3) in Auburn, Ala.
Michigan 44, Purdue 13: Quarterback Denard Robinson rushed 24 times for 235 yards, threw for one TD to lead the Wolverines (3-2, 1-0 Big Ten) to a win over the Boilermakers (3-2, 0-1) in West Lafayette, Ind.
Fresno State 28, Colorado State 7: Derek Carr threw four TD passes, including two to Davante Adams, and the Bulldogs (4-2, 2-0 MWC) shut down the Rams (1-5, 0-2) until the final moments for a victory in Fort Collins, Colo.
Nevada 35, Wyoming 28 (OT): Backup quarterback Devin Combs hit Aaron Bradley with a 24-yard TD pass in overtime and the Wolf Pack (5-1, 2-0 MWC) came from behind to beat the Cowboys (1-4, 0-1) in overtime in Reno, Nev.
Click here to comment on this story »