Local news

Woman severely burned

A 42-year-old Spokane woman was severely burned this morning after embers from the cigarette she was smoking ignited the blanket wrapped around her.

The woman, who is confined to a wheelchair, was unable to get out of her chair, said Dave Haworth, a Spokane Fire Department battalion chief. “Two nearby bystanders came to her aid, removed her from the wheelchair and extinguished the fire that was encompassing her.”

Firefighters responded to the call at Second and Adams. The woman was taken to Sacred Heart Medical Center. She was flown to Harborview Medical Center after being stabilized.

The woman suffered second- and third-degree burns on nearly 30 percent of her body, officials said. The wheelchair was completely destroyed.



There are 12 comments on this story »







Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile