October 8, 2012 in Nation/World

Man dies after winning roach-eating contest

Associated Press
 


(Full-size photo)

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. — Broward County authorities say the winner of a roach eating contest died shortly after eating dozens of roaches and worms.

Several contestants ate insects to win a python, the grand prize of the Friday night contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office says the winner of the challenge, 32-year-old Edward Archbold, became ill soon after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The sheriff’s office said Monday it was waiting for an autopsy report to determine a cause of death.

No other contestants became sick after the contest.

© Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


There are two comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email