October 10, 2012 in Nation/World

Team decides against Thursday supersonic skydive

Jeri Clausing Associated Press
 
Matt York photo

From the left; Mission Control meteorologist Don Day, Capcom 1 skydive record holder Col. Joe Kittinger, Technical Project Director Art Thompson and High Performance Director Andy Walshe speak to the media Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012, in Roswell, N.M., to announce a four-day hold on Felix Baumgartner’s 23-mile-high jump attempt, with the earliest projection for a second jump being Sunday. Baumgartner is hoping to become the first skydiver to break the sound barrier by jumping from a capsule floated 23 miles into the stratosphere by 55-story helium balloon.
(Full-size photo)(All photos)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Extreme athlete Felix Baumgartner hopes to make a second attempt at a supersonic skydive over New Mexico on Sunday or Monday.

Baumgartner aborted his mission Tuesday due to high winds, and his team had hoped the weather Thursday would allow him another try then. But now they’re looking at the next break in weather being Sunday or Monday.

Baumgartner is hoping to become the first skydiver to break the sound barrier by jumping from a capsule floated 23 miles into the stratosphere by 55-story helium balloon.

The jump was postponed due to wind Monday, then aborted at the last minute because of wind gusts Tuesday.

The balloon is so delicate that it can take off only if winds on the ground are 2 mph or less.

© Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email