October 12, 2012 in Nation/World

White House defends Biden’s statements on Libya

Associated Press
 

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House is defending Vice President Joe Biden’s debate statement that “we weren’t told” there had been requests for more security at the U.S. consulate in Libya where four Americans were killed in a terrorist attack one month ago.

A State Department official testified before Congress on Wednesday that she had refused requests for more security in Benghazi because the department wanted to train Libyans for the task. Another U.S. official testified he had argued unsuccessfully for more security for weeks.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said that when Biden said “we weren’t told,” he meant the White House, President Barack Obama and himself.

Carney said such security matters are handled by the State Department.

Biden made the statement Thursday in the vice presidential debate with GOP candidate Paul Ryan.

© Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus