WSU blanks USC in women’s soccer
Both teams had opportunities, but it was Washington State that capitalized in a 4-0 win over Southern California in Pac-12 Conference women’s soccer action Friday in Pullman.
Beau Bremer opened the scoring with an unassisted goal in the seventh minute. Rachael Doyle later scored on a header off a corner kick to give the Cougars a 2-0 advantage at halftime. WSU’s Brandi Vega and Micaela Castain added second-half goals to put the match away.
The shutout was the Cougars’ seventh of the season.
WSU improved to 9-4-1 overall and 3-2-1 in conference games while USC fell to 4-7-3 and 1-3-2 in the Pac-12.
• Erin Craig had two goals and an assist as Montana (8-6-2, 4-2-1) blanked host Eastern Washington (5-7-3, 2-3-2) 4-0 in a Big Sky Conference match.
EWU’s Brianna Brannan reportedly suffered a broken leg.
• Rosie White’s goal in the 44th minute was all No. 3 UCLA (12-0-2, 5-0-1) needed in a 1-0 win over Washington (9-4-2, 2-3-1) in Pac-12 Conference play in Seattle.
Liz Brenner and Alaina Bergsma combined for 23 kills and No. 5 Oregon (15-1, 6-1) swept Washington State (10-9, 0-7) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Eugene, Ore. Scores were 25-20, 25-21, 25-12.
WSU had a 17-14 lead in the second set, but couldn’t come away with the win.
Rachel Todorovich had 15 kills and Jaicee Harris added 10 kills and 12 digs for WSU.
• Allison Baker led a balanced attack with 11 kills and Idaho (9-10, 7-2) swept Louisiana Tech (3-18, 0-9) in Ruston, La. Scores were 25-23, 25-16 and 25-23. The win was the Vandals’ sixth straight.
Alyssa Schultz and Ashley Christman each added seven kills. Jenny Feicht added 16 assists and 13 digs for Idaho.
• Amy Wooten had 14 kills as Pacific Lutheran (15-2, 9-0) edged host Whitworth in five sets in a Northwest Conference match. Scores were 17-25, 25-15, 25-20, 20-25 and 15-11.
Jalana White had a match-high 17 kills for the Pirates (6-10, 2-7).
• HayleeMae Dennis had 13 kills and Yang Yang 12 kills, eight blocks and four aces as North Idaho (17-2, 4-2) came from behind to beat Snow (12-7, 2-4) in a Scenic West Athletic Conference match in Salt Lake City, 20-25, 23-25, 25-14, 25-20, 15-13.
• Community Colleges of Spokane (21-5) won all three of its matches at the Shoreline Crossover tournament in Shoreline, Wash. The Sasquatch swept Lower Columbia (7-17), Shoreline (9-11) and Chemeketa (6-19).
• Krista Vansant had 20 kills and 10 digs as No. 2 Washington (16-0, 7-0) beat Oregon State (12-7, 2-5) 25-15, 25-22, 25-14 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Corvallis, Ore.
Nathan Arambula scored two first-half goals and defending West Coast Conference champion Saint Mary’s (6-3-3, 2-2-1) held on to beat Gonzaga 2-0 in Spokane. Arambula’s goals were the first he’s scored all season.
The loss was the fifth straight for the Bulldogs (4-8, 0-5).
• Patrick Pacheco scored off a rebound in the 108th minute to give Washington a 1-0 double-overtime win over California (6-5-1, 1-3) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Seattle. The Huskies (8-3-2, 3-0-1) held a 16-8 advantage in shots.
Daniel Buchanan scored twice as the Kamloops Storm (4-2-0-2) blanked the Spokane Braves (3-7-1-0) 6-0 in KIJHL play at Eagles Ice-A-Rena.